Simply Beads Newsletter
Simple Fall Pin
By Erica Visocky
This easy fall pin will have your creativity flowing with polymer clay in no time.
- Polymer Clay -- Choose fall colors (goldenrod, green, brown, orange) or mix your own (red, yellow, green, orange, turquoise, white) Note: Mixing orange and turquoise makes brown.
- Pin back
- Jewelry glue (E-6000®)
- Acrylic rolling pin
- Playing cards
- Work surface (clay mat or glossy ceramic tile)
- Fence -- Using goldenrod, or a mixture of yellow, orange and small amounts of brown and white, clay, roll a thin piece of clay about 3 x 3 inches. Using playing card, trim sides to form rectangle. Cut strips about 1/4 inch parallel with shortest side. Remove every other strip and set aside.
Using playing card, cut points at top of remaining strips. With one of strips set aside, roll it thin and just a little longer than the width of your fencing. Use playing card to cut strip in half. Place one strip about 1/3 down from top of fencing. Trim ends with playing card. Repeat with second strip placing it about 1/3 up from bottom of fencing.
- Pumpkin -- Using a mixture of orange and brown, roll a small amount into a round ball. Flatten into an oval. Smooth edges by running finger gently over surface. Place on bottom right corner of fence. Slightly curve a playing card in hand and use to create ribs on pumpkin by changing direction when changing sides.
Use a small amount of brown, or a mixture of orange, turquoise and white, clay to form a round. Roll round into a short cylinder and place at top of pumpkin. Use green clay with a small amount of brown mixed in to roll a small flat piece of clay. Use curved playing card to cut a pointed oval, or leaf, shape from clay. Shape and place under brown stem.
Roll a thin worm from green/brown clay with a pointed end. Spin into spiral shape and place on top of pumpkin in corner between leaf and stem. Use a playing card to add vein to leaf and grooves to stem.
- Leaves -- Mix brown clay with red, orange and yellow. Roll three small rounds, then roll one side of each to give points. Flatten with finger and shape into leaves. Place on fencing and give veins with playing card.
- Bake according to clay manufacturer's instructions. Allow to cool. Glue on pin back.
Copyright © 2012. Annie's. All rights reserved.